The pound struggled against currencies worldwide as Theresa May’s Conservatives failed to win a clear majority due to Jeremy Corbyn’s Labour performing extremely well.
But that doesn’t mean that you can’t book a fun filled holiday this year, you can still get more for your travel money through smart destination planning.
Rather than opting for your usual European spots this year, why not tick off some more far-flung destinations or secret tourist gems? Look at where the pound has performed well over the long run and you can find destinations where your travel budget could go further.
- 🇦🇷 Argentina – Leading the best value destination list is Argentina where the pound goes 46% further than it did two years ago – and 192% further than five years ago. This means you’ll get 6,387 Argentine pesos more, equivalent to £315, for every £1,000 exchanged compared to 2015. And compared to 2012, it rises to £658 more.
- 🇨🇦 Canada – In the short-term, the pound has performed the best in Canada where it has strengthened by 4% against the Canadian dollar over the last six months. It is now 7% stronger compared to four years ago.
- 🇯🇲 Jamaica – In Jamaica your pounds will go 22% further than they did 5 years ago. For every £1,000 exchanged, that means an extra £179 worth of spending money. Take a trip to Jamaica’s capital, squeezed between the Blue Mountains, Kingston is an overwhelmingly beautiful destination, with plenty of tastes, sights and sounds to be explored.
- 🇲🇽 Mexico – Sun yourself on the beaches of Cancun or hit the hustle and bustle of Mexico City this year. Your pounds will go 16% further than 4 years ago, meaning you’ll be £140 better off.
- 🇧🇷 Brazil – In Brazil, the pound goes 33% further than it did 5 years ago.
- 🇦🇺 Australia – Also feature in our list of best value destinations is Australia, with the pound going 8% further than it did 5 years ago.
- 🇲🇾 Malaysia – Or visit the captivating city skylines of Malaysia, where you’ll get £113 more spending money per £1,000 exchanged than you did 4 years ago.
- 🇷🇺 Russia – Visit the Red Square or swim in the Black Sea on a trip to Russia, here you’ll get £202 more per £1,000 exchanged than you did 3 years ago. The pound now goes 25% further, meaning you get a lot more rubles in exchange for your pounds.
- 🇿🇦 South Africa – Distinguished by natural beauty with its rugged landscape and coasts, plus game reserves and wine routes, South Africa will take your pound 26% further than it did five years ago. Cape Town is also on Lonely Planet’s top 10 cities to visit in 2017.
- 🇿🇲 Zambia – Those wanting to combine a land safari with a waterway adventure, Zambia offers 41% more for the pound compared to 4 years ago, equivalent to an extra £293 per £1,000 exchanged.
- 🇸🇪 Sweden and 🇳🇴 Norway – And finally, a little closer to home, Sweden and Norway also enter our list of top value destinations, post-election. In Sweden your pounds will go 9% further than 4 years ago and in Norway they will go 20% further than 4 years ago.
Volatility has come to define the pound over the past 12 months but the key for holidaymakers is not to panic. Smart currency planning means there are still ways you can get the biggest bang for your buck. Europe and America are popular holiday destinations but if you’re not fixed on where you visit, considering alternative spots where the pound travels further means you can explore more of the world, for less.
Travel further this year by planning like a pro
Follow our tips on planning your holidays like a pro and your money will travel much further this year. Even if flight prices do go up and down from one day to the next, you and your family can still experience more with some smart planning.
💶 Currency tip: You book the flight and hotel in advance but leave travel money to the last minute – that’s a mistake. Sign up to our Rate Alert service to find out when the exchange rate is in your favour.
🏨 Accommodation tip: Many hotel comparison sites won’t show you the actual price you pay until the final step. Make sure that you’re comparing like for like rates, including any local taxes or charges for card payments.
🍴 Dining tip: Eating like a local throughout your trip will mean that you can enjoy more for your money. Try out the restaurants that are full of locals or, if you are feeling adventurous enough, restaurants that don’t even have menus written in English.
Social dining for travellers is a modern way to experience traditional cuisine in people’s homes, cooked and shared by locals themselves. Platforms like VizEat connect travellers and local hosts in more than 70 countries.
Check out our full list of tips on how to travel further this year by planning like a pro.